My site uses dynamic IDs, and eValid fails. What can I do?

How to apply eValid to functional testing of web applications.

Postby JesusP » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:29 pm

JesusP

Re: My site uses dynamic IDs, and eValid fails. What can I

Postby eValid » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:31 am

Dynamically assigne IDs will defeat eValid's adaptive playback feature because it relies on the [mostly followed but sometimes ignored] convention that the ID tags in page elements don't change over time.

What you have is a site that uses dynamic ID tags, probably generated either at application creation time or even more dynamically, at page generation time. It doesn't matter when the variable ID tags are generated or by whom. The problem is still there: An eValid test that is specific to and relies on certain ID tags will get in trouble for sure.

The solution is simple: From the current script that you have, convert commands that rely on ID tags to commands that don't involve specific ID tag values. This means that you need to have your tests pivot on other, non-dynamic features of the web page like the location of an icon, or the number of elements in from the left-hand side of a table, or something structural like that. The eValid structural commands take over and they do NOT require ID tag use. Here is a key page: Testing with DOM Interactions -- Guide To Examples which shows you how to do this.

--eValid Support
eValid

Return to Desktop and Mobile Device Functional Testing

Design Downloaded from free phpBB templates | free website templates | Free Web Buttons