Documentation answer regarding browers in private browsing

How to apply eValid to functional testing of web applications.

Documentation answer regarding browers in private browsing

Postby DavidK » Thu May 22, 2014 1:40 pm

Afternoon:

Been checking the eValid forum for a while. First posting.

I cannot find documentation on whether it's possible for e-Valid to simulate the different browsers in private browsing mode.

Please point me in the right direction where to look.

Thanks

DavidK
DavidK

Re: Documentation answer regarding browers in private browsi

Postby eValid » Tue May 27, 2014 8:31 am

DavidK wrote:Afternoon:

Been checking the eValid forum for a while. First posting.

I cannot find documentation on whether it's possible for e-Valid to simulate the different browsers in private browsing mode.

Please point me in the right direction where to look.

Thanks

DavidK

Thanks for posting DavidK.

Very good question.

The "private browsing" idea means that the browser doesn't remember the sequence of pages visited and doesn't keep a cache.

From what we can tell "private browsing" is handled slightly differently on the main browsers like IE, Chrome, FireFox, etc. But it appears to mean, basically, "forget everything"...

Of course, remembering the sequence of URLs visited in a test environment is a contradiction in terms: The idea of a test IS to remember (and reproduce) that information. So that leaves the contents of the cache to deal with.

But you're probably concerned with performance aspects, and in that case you may wish to be aware that eValid has some control use of the cache during playback, as described here:

http://www.e-Valid.com/Products/Documen ... ement.html

If you choose the "never use cache" option this means that eValid erases every page (and all of its components) after the last part of the page has been downloaded. Doing this assures that a subsequent reference to that page (or any part of it) will ALWAYS be re-loaded -- not read from the cache.

In effect, the browser becomes "memoryless". We think this is a pretty good approximation to "private browsing" but please do try it out and let us know if that meets your needs.

-- eValid Support
eValid

Return to Desktop and Mobile Device Functional Testing

Design Downloaded from free phpBB templates | free website templates | Free Web Buttons