Legality of modifying DOM elements

How to apply eValid to functional testing of web applications.

Legality of modifying DOM elements

Postby JGarland » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:31 pm

Evening.

I'd like to know the following:

Can I really MODIFY DOM elements?

Isn't that illegal?

Thanks is advance!
JGarland

Re: Legality of modifying DOM elements

Postby eValid » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:42 am

JGarland wrote:Evening.

I'd like to know the following:

Can I really MODIFY DOM elements?

Isn't that illegal?

Thanks is advance!

Very good question, thanks for asking JGarland.

Here for the record are the specific commands that eValid has that support modification of the contents of DOM elements during test playback.

http://www.e-valid.com/Products/Documen ... ation.html

No, it is not "illegal" to have a web application that modifies the contents of DOM elements.

This kind of thing happens all the time in typical AJAX browser/server interactions. So you certainly do want to have this capability.

But such modifications are only possible with JavaScript that originates from the author of the application. The presumption is that these are modifications that the authors of the page WANT to happen.

Also, the same-origin policy prevents the JavaScript supplied by the page's author from modifying other peoples' pages.

However, as you know because you've been using eValid's special DOM manipulation command, that constraint does not exist with eValid because it is a "special" browser that allows external sources (the eValid script file) to modify ANY page.

This is hardly a secret, by the way. Web application testers need this kind of capability if they are going to do a thorough job of testing an application. For example, they may need to insert a password string into an internal DOM location prior to issuing a click or image click command. So this power is entirely proper to have and is fundamental to success in using eValid effectively.

-- eValid Support
eValid

Return to Desktop and Mobile Device Functional Testing

Design Downloaded from free phpBB templates | free website templates | Free Web Buttons