Questions on a parent and sub window browsers

How to apply eValid to functional testing of web applications.

Questions on a parent and sub window browsers

Postby EdReimer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:10 pm

Afternoon guys.

When I'm recording a script that starts in a parent browser and then opens a sub window browser, how is that handled in the script language?

I would expect to see a tree, but all I see is a single flat-file script.

HUH?

Please give me some insights on the matter.

Thanks
EdReimer

Re: Questions on a parent and sub window browsers

Postby eValid » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:10 pm

EdReimer wrote:Afternoon guys.

When I'm recording a script that starts in a parent browser and then opens a sub window browser, how is that handled in the script language?

I would expect to see a tree, but all I see is a single flat-file script.

HUH?

Please give me some insights on the matter.

Thanks

That's a good and fair question to ask EdReimer.

A very long time ago we considered putting the script information that pertains to a launched sub-window in a separate "sub-script" that pertains directly to that window.

The pro side said, more logical and better "computer science".

The con side said, well, sure, but now you have TWO scripts for a playback that launches only one sub window.

Two scripts is harder to keep track of than one.

The con side of this one won the battle, and evalid chose to put the details about which window is receiving the action described in the script line as a parameter in the script, called the "wid" (window ID).

Here is a general description of how eValid scripts are organized:

http://www.e-valid.com/Products/Documen ... iples.html

The really BIG advantage of this is that you have one script = one test = one playback session = one set of logs, and so forth.

This, then, is the simplest way to keep track of things.

Additional note: We found in practice that sub-windows and sub-sub-windows often tended to disappear...and a unified scripting made it possible to keep track of things far, far easier, even when an intermediate window got closed by the user.

-- eValid Support
eValid

Return to Desktop and Mobile Device Functional Testing

Design Downloaded from free phpBB templates | free website templates | Free Web Buttons