Do my ID tags have to be constant for eValid to work?

How to apply eValid to functional testing of web applications.

Do my ID tags have to be constant for eValid to work?

Postby nmjj » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:31 pm

Do my ID tags have to be constant for eValid to work correctly?
nmjj

Re: Do my ID tags have to be constant for eValid to work?

Postby eValid » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:04 pm

nmjj wrote:Do my ID tags have to be constant for eValid to work correctly?

In many cases eValid recorded-from-life commands do capture an ID tag from an element in the page where an action is supposed to be happening in the future. eValid uses the ID tag data to apply "adaptive playback" -- which compensates automatically for page changes.

But you don't HAVE to have constant ID tags and in fact we do know of a number of web applications that automatically re-assigne unique ID tags each time a page is update.

In that case, to achieve a reliable playback when ID tags change you have to change your script to provide for identification of objects based on use of "structural commands". That's a longer topic, but briefly what you do is idnetify the place where something you know is and then tell eValid to act on that place. The "place" can be changed in the page but the search method will still find it automatically.

For complete details, please check the eValid documentation for the section on Structural Commands.

The eValid Team
eValid

Return to Desktop and Mobile Device Functional Testing

Design Downloaded from free phpBB templates | free website templates | Free Web Buttons