Frame Numbers

How to apply eValid to functional testing of web applications.

Frame Numbers

Postby ttweb » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:01 am

Hey, eValid. My script playback is unreliable and I have to change my frame numbers every time. Why?
ttweb

Re: Frame Numbers

Postby eValid » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:00 pm

ttweb wrote:Hey, eValid. My script playback is unreliable and I have to change my frame numbers every time. Why?

Web pages can run with or without named frames.

When the page doesn't have frame names, the browser still works. But when when you are recording or playing back a test in that case, there has to be some way for eValid to know which frame you're referring to.

The way eValid keeps track of this detail is to give the frames numbers, that is, by using "ordinal values" in the script. You'll see frame names like number:2 in the generated script.

Of course, if your frames DO have names and you have the "record frames with ordinal values" setting turned off, you see the actual frame names in stead of a number.

Now, here is the rub. If the frames appear at playback time in a different ORDER from when they were recorded, then, well, that is a playback failure as far as eValid is concerned. Which is correct, becuase what was recorded is not what was played back.

The most common fix to this is to go back to named frames...most of the time this resolves the problem.

But just to be clear, if you have to un-named frames that arrive at playback time in different order depending on something outside eValid's control then, yes, you will have a test that sometimes PASSes and sometimes FAILs. Which is what you would want to have happen.

The eValid Team
eValid

Return to Desktop and Mobile Device Functional Testing

Design Downloaded from free phpBB templates | free website templates | Free Web Buttons