access two times using command EnvironmentVariableFile

How to apply eValid to functional testing of web applications.

access two times using command EnvironmentVariableFile

Postby josepmaria » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:26 am

I have recorded a lot of scripts using e-Valid software. These scripts use two configuration files Variables.evs and Constants.evs.
My problem is that I can only access to a unique configuration file and I need to access to both.
To access to the two configuration files *.evs from all scripts recorded *.evs, I use the command EnvironmentVariableFile.

I show an example:

/* script D001_01.evs */
ProjectID "Group"
GroupID "DMD"
TestID "D001_01"
LogID "DEFAULT"

EnvironmentVariableFile "Variables.evs"
/* end of script D001_01.evs */

And the content of the Variables.evs is:

TestID "Variables"
$per_tip_doc_001_01=D
$per_num_doc_001_01=21321321
$per_let_doc_001_01=E

My problem is to achieve access from D001_01.evs to two configuration files like Variables.evs using two times the command EnvironmentVariableFile.

Is it possible?

Thanks a lot

Josep Mª Carné
Consultant
ALTRAN CIS
Barcelona
josepmaria

Re: access two times using command EnvironmentVariableFile

Postby eValid » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:24 pm

josepmaria wrote:I have recorded a lot of scripts using e-Valid software. These scripts use two configuration files Variables.evs and Constants.evs.
My problem is that I can only access to a unique configuration file and I need to access to both.
To access to the two configuration files *.evs from all scripts recorded *.evs, I use the command EnvironmentVariableFile.

I show an example:

/* script D001_01.evs */
ProjectID "Group"
GroupID "DMD"
TestID "D001_01"
LogID "DEFAULT"

EnvironmentVariableFile "Variables.evs"
/* end of script D001_01.evs */

And the content of the Variables.evs is:

TestID "Variables"
$per_tip_doc_001_01=D
$per_num_doc_001_01=21321321
$per_let_doc_001_01=E

My problem is to achieve access from D001_01.evs to two configuration files like Variables.evs using two times the command EnvironmentVariableFile.

Is it possible?

Thanks a lot

Josep Mª Carné
Consultant
ALTRAN CIS
Barcelona

Thanks for asking. Here are some main points that may help, but you may wish also to consult the eValid Environment Variables File manual page.

First, there can be only ONE Environment Variables file in any playback, but you don't need to separate constants and variables. Any second file you have is ignored during playback.

When the file has duplicate definitions only the FIRST definition is remembered by eValid. Second and subsequent definitions are ignored.

Also, the $name=value format is required. You need to put ='s in your value assignments above.

So you probably need to join the two groups of definitions into one file, but first make sure you don't have any conflicting definitions (remember, the second instance of any assigned name is ignored).

Also, it is good practice to separate the values files from the script file per se, and we usually suggest using names like Input.txt (the *.txt) suffix rather than the *.evs syntax. This prevents you from trying to play them back by error.

If you think about it, you'll appreciate that using just ONE file and having only the first appearing assignments for any variable is a safety measure because that constraint will prevent you from conflicts and confusion in the long run.

Hope this answers your questions...please post a reply if not...

The eValid Support Team
eValid

Return to Desktop and Mobile Device Functional Testing

Design Downloaded from free phpBB templates | free website templates | Free Web Buttons