Two Questions: Capacity and Timing

Applying eValid to Rich Internet Application (RIA) Performance Monitoring.

Two Questions: Capacity and Timing

Postby ozwizzard » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:45 am

For eValid in "monitoring mode" [as you describe it, but it seems to be just ordinary functional testing, but anyway...] I have two questions:

(1) What is a practical number of simultaneous eValid copies doing monitoring and what are the limitations that are imposed there?

(2) If I want to create a report in my monitoring system (I'm using Nagios) that shows bands of activity from test to test, how do I do it? Is there some trick inside the eValid script that makes this easy?

Ozzie the Wizzard
ozwizzard

Re: Two Questions: Capacity and Timing

Postby eValid » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:10 am

ozwizzard wrote:For eValid in "monitoring mode" [as you describe it, but it seems to be just ordinary functional testing, but anyway...] I have two questions:

(1) What is a practical number of simultaneous eValid copies doing monitoring and what are the limitations that are imposed there?

(2) If I want to create a report in my monitoring system (I'm using Nagios) that shows bands of activity from test to test, how do I do it? Is there some trick inside the eValid script that makes this easy?

Ozzie the Wizzard

Thanks for asking... Here are some answers, by the numbers...

(1) We generally don't go beyond 10 simultaneous playbacks (they all have to be desktop safe) at one time to minimize dependence on machine resources. Monitoring is a lot different from loading -- when you can run 100's of eValid's in parallel to simulate user load -- so you should not overdo it.

(2) There a lot of ways to do this, but the easiest is to use "bands" that are set up using mesages that accompany ElapsedTime commands in the playback script. If you reset the timer at the beginning then the sequence of times will form a nice "band" in the Nagios display (which arises from the RRD processing).

If this isn't enough information please let us know!

-eValid
eValid

Return to Rich Internet Application Monitoring (RIA)

Design Downloaded from free phpBB templates | free website templates | Free Web Buttons