Site analyis status report

Use and application of eValid's site analysis (site scanning) features.

Site analyis status report

Postby kGael » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:42 pm

Thank you for the feedback.

I did the RTM thing and found exactly these pointers, except of course the additional info you provided.

Now here are two things I really cannot find reference to in the help files:

In the site analysis status report there are counters for 'Total Links Mapped' and 'Total Unique URLs on site ', What exactly does that mean?

I am asking this because I am being asked the same questions and I reply with what I THINK that means but that does nor necessarily mean I am right.

Could you please elaborate on those two counters ?
kGael

Re: Site analyis status report

Postby eValid » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:04 pm

Remember, in a site analysis run you are doing, basically, a recursive descent (left to right top down traversal) of links starting from the initial page...the page where you launch the site analysis.

In this mode, eValid examines each page for all the links it can find, adds them to a list, and then visits the first one on the list.

There, after recording all of the data properties it examines all of the links on that page, adding to the list.

Except if the URL is "blocked" by the user-supplied exclude list.

No URL is ever added twice. So the unique URL count is the number of pages actually visited.

However, a link that is "on the site" can have many parents, and all of those are mapped and shown in the 3D-SiteMap display.

(It is an anomaly of web site page structure that a page can have a child page link to a page which has a link to the original page. Thus in terms of pages it could be true that "my grandchild is also my parent".

However, note that in the 3D-SiteMap the links ONLY go down...but a page that is its own grandparent is shown twice. For completeness.)

((This will either completely resolve your question or completely confuse you...let me know either way.))

Return to Website Scanning and Analysis

Design Downloaded from free phpBB templates | free website templates | Free Web Buttons