How Do You Find Where Something Is On A Page

Applying eValid to AJAX applications that require advanced DOM-based methods.

How Do You Find Where Something Is On A Page

Postby akoinc » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:54 am

You've got a neat product there and I've been looking at your examples that use the structural commands to manipulate the page but there is this one question that I have: How do you FIND these things on the page? Is there some trick?
akoinc

Re: How Do You Find Where Something Is On A Page

Postby eValid » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:07 am

akoinc wrote:You've got a neat product there and I've been looking at your examples that use the structural commands to manipulate the page but there is this one question that I have: How do you FIND these things on the page? Is there some trick?

As you no doubt have found out, web pages can be VERY complicated, with hundreds or even thousands of elements, each of which contributes a small part of what you actually see on the page.

With eValid in use, you can study what's what using the PageMap feature, which you can activate with an eValid window pulldown or by pressing Ctrl-F5.

Once it's displayed, and once you activate the "feedback loop" you have a 2-directional link direct into the page:

(1) If you right-click on the page in the browser, the PageMap will navigate itself to the DOM element where you clicked.

(2) If you click on an item in the PageMap display, eValid will blink a black box around the corresponding element in the display.

It's simple to find what's what and what's where this way.

The only thing to add is, to be cautious about pages that change shape and change content even as you work with them. The PageMap has a feature that will automatically update the display when the page is updated but in some cases you may have to Refresh the page to make sure that the correspondence between the PageMap and the page you're seeing in the browser match up.

Have fun!

-The eValid Team
eValid

Return to AJAX Applications & DOM Processing

Design Downloaded from free phpBB templates | free website templates | Free Web Buttons