ID Tags Changing

Applying eValid to AJAX applications that require advanced DOM-based methods.

ID Tags Changing

Postby vcnn » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:39 pm

That DOM synchronization works great, but what do I do in this application I'm working on that has the wierd behavior that all of the ID tags change from instance to instance?
vcnn

Re: ID Tags Changing

Postby eValid » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:47 am

vcnn wrote:That DOM synchronization works great, but what do I do in this application I'm working on that has the wierd behavior that all of the ID tags change from instance to instance?

Yes, we have seen a number of web applications which either have no ID tags (which is hard to work with) or which have ID tags that change whenever the application is updated (which is even harder to work with).

It would be GREAT if all web pages had ID tags on the critical page elements that were "cast in concrete," but from the testing side what is great for the tester may not be the main concern of the developer.

When the ID tags are not specified, you will need to use special eValid "structural testing" commands to identify the object you want to handle by its visible properties, or possibly by its position relative to a object where you DO know the index (or can find it).

When ID tags change there are two cases: (i) When you know what they are changed into, and (ii) When you don't know.

For (i) the solution probably is to parameterize the ID tag value, e.g. ID=$TheCurrentID, and then populate the value of "$TheCurrentID" via a command line parameter or an EnvironmentVariables file.

For (ii) you probably will be better off to convert the passage of your eValid script the refers to that ID tag into one that uses the "structural testing" commands, which then will make the script independent of the values (which are going to be changing anyway).

The eValid Team
eValid

Return to AJAX Applications & DOM Processing

Design Downloaded from free phpBB templates | free website templates | Free Web Buttons