Constant ID Tags

Applying eValid to AJAX applications that require advanced DOM-based methods.

Constant ID Tags

Postby forpro » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:57 pm

I want to synchronize on a particular structure on a page, and I don't have constant ID tags to do that with. What do you suggest.
forpro

Re: Constant ID Tags

Postby eValid » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:27 pm

forpro wrote:I want to synchronize on a particular structure on a page, and I don't have constant ID tags to do that with. What do you suggest.

As you have found out, ID tags are a very convenient way to "pivot" synchronization commands in eValid. But that's not much good when the values change. We know of some web application construction suites that acutally assign new values to every ID tag after every change!

OK, without an ID tag then the challenge is to find (a) some DOM element property on that page (preferably on that element where you'll be taking action) that DOESN'T change. We've found that sometimes invisible text or other user assigned values will serve equally as well as constant ID tags.

Or, (b) you have to find some structural feature of the page that is known not to vary over time. For example, it could be that you pivot on the third entry in the second table on the first box. Or something like that.

In that case you use eValid structural commands to find (i) the first box, and then from there (ii) the second table and then from there (iii) the third entry in that table.

We've had to do this in a couple of cases and while it is tedious to set up the script that results works perfectly.

eValid Support
eValid

Return to AJAX Applications & DOM Processing

Design Downloaded from free phpBB templates | free website templates | Free Web Buttons