Do all elements on a page have to visible?

Applying eValid to AJAX applications that require advanced DOM-based methods.

Do all elements on a page have to visible?

Postby GillyT » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:11 pm

Good evening.

Hope i can get an answer to my question, a real showstopper.

How can I click an element that is not visible?

I checked on the webdriver support pages for insight.

The Webdriver people seem to say you have to make it visible but is that really true?

Please help.
GillyT

Re: Do all elements on a page have to visible?

Postby eValid » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:53 am

GillyT wrote:Good evening.

Hope i can get an answer to my question, a real showstopper.

How can I click an element that is not visible?

I checked on the webdriver support pages for insight.

The Webdriver people seem to say you have to make it visible but is that really true?

Please help.

Hey GillyT.

Sorry to be vague in our response, but the correct answer is "it depends."

We have seen cases when the visibility of an element is NOT involved in the JavaScript that is set up to process events sent to the element. And we have seen it the other way around.

But the main question is whether eValid has access to a DOM element in spite of the fact that it is not currently visibleon the face of the browser, and the answer to that is YES.

For passive elements, that is, those that are simpley "there" on the page, even if the attribute setting is "invisible" you can certainly do it. All that you need is is the index of the DOM element. Here are the commands that manipulate DOM values, which do NOT have any limitations about visibility:

http://www.e-valid.com//Products/Docume ... ation.html

The more complex case is when the DOM element is being handled by a passage of JavaScript. Here is an example of an evalid DOM manipulation sequence that inserts values so that the local JavaScript can handle them:

http://www.e-valid.com//Products/Docume ... ple13.html

It may be useful in addition (with tongue in cheek) to point that it is NOT possible for eValid to insert values in a DOM element that does not exist. Yet, eValid can cause an element to be created and THEN insert values into it...

-- eValid Support
eValid

Return to AJAX Applications & DOM Processing

Design Downloaded from free phpBB templates | free website templates | Free Web Buttons