A DOM Mnipulation Command

Applying eValid to AJAX applications that require advanced DOM-based methods.

A DOM Mnipulation Command

Postby qxwt » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:43 pm

How come eValid doesn't give me an error message when I run a DOM manipulation command that has no effect?
qxwt

Re: A DOM Mnipulation Command

Postby eValid » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:48 am

qxwt wrote:How come eValid doesn't give me an error message when I run a DOM manipulation command that has no effect?

That is a good question, and one on which we devoted considerable thought before releasing the DOM processing commands, in V8 and V9.

The main question is, what would it mean "to have no effect?" How could eValid know and issued change to the current page DOM would affect the page either now, or in the future?

For example, if you use eValid structural commands to set the value of a property that is NEVER USED by the page, then that actually has "no effect" but you might indeed want to use that value later -- for example, to ascertain that you have (or haven't) done some particular action.

So, we decided that the safest thing to do -- and the most economical in the EventLog output -- was to silently accept any conceivably meaningful command, and only to report an ERROR when the command actually did something that was detectabley wrong or incorrect.

In other words, eValid's DOM manipulation commands assume that the user knows what he is doing -- and to contracdict the user's intentions was by design going to be inappropriate.

eValid Support
eValid

Return to AJAX Applications & DOM Processing

Design Downloaded from free phpBB templates | free website templates | Free Web Buttons