Why is Ajax Testing So Difficult?

Applying eValid to AJAX applications that require advanced DOM-based methods.

Why is Ajax Testing So Difficult?

Postby ajaxtester » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:29 am

I've got this AJAX app and I can't seem to get it to test
right with VSTS or Fiddler or anything. My tests record OK
but the playback is nutzoid. What am I doing wrong?

A Worried AjaxTester
ajaxtester

Re: Why is Ajax Testing So Difficult?

Postby eValid » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:23 pm

ajaxtester wrote:I've got this AJAX app and I can't seem to get it to test
right with VSTS or Fiddler or anything. My tests record OK
but the playback is nutzoid. What am I doing wrong?

A Worried AjaxTester

Actually, testing AJAX is not so really difficult.

The usual difficulty with HTTP-based test engines is that the recording of the communications protocol is very detailed, and very specific to the particular state in which the browser is. So the trace of HTTP protocol may be correct at the time you made the test but it may be incorrect later, which the state of the browser has changed.

VSTS is a very fine product, but it is limited by the fact that it is based on capture of the protocol.

If you switch to evalid the actions are recorded as internal browser request, e.g. go get this page to type into this field, and only when the AJAX application has to send something does the browser do it.

We find that the best way to handle AJAX is to record "from life" and then hand-modify the script to add in any necessary synchronization steps. This may seem like "hacking" -- and we suppose that it may be -- but if you want to minimize your pain (who doesn't?) then this approach is very efficient in practice.

To summarize why you're going nutzoid -- great word -- it's because you're asking the HTTP protocol to be constant and your application is not cooperating. That would drive anyone crazy, huh?

The eValid Team.

(P.S. You'll find lots of information about AJAX syncs elsewhere on this Forum.)
eValid

Return to AJAX Applications & DOM Processing

Design Downloaded from free phpBB templates | free website templates | Free Web Buttons