My recording of an AJAX application

Applying eValid to AJAX applications that require advanced DOM-based methods.

My recording of an AJAX application

Postby new101 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:20 pm

Is there some surefire way to guarantee that my recording of an AJAX application will work, even after structural changes to my site?
new101

Re: My recording of an AJAX application

Postby eValid » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:36 am

new101 wrote:Is there some surefire way to guarantee that my recording of an AJAX application will work, even after structural changes to my site?
It depends on what you mean by "structural changes"? "Guarantee" is a pretty strong term!

If there are a LOT of structural changes -- that is, if the page structure and its frame hierarchy are changed completely -- then no, you can't build a test that would be immune to that. But then again, you wouldn't WANT to do that because then your regression tests or performance monitoring tests would be meaningless.

The safest way to make a test immune to change is to (a) get it working and then (b) systematically try to break it to see if it still works. Here "break it" means to change the script so that they dynamic correspondence between the script and the page is changed. If your script is a good one, then minor changes to the script -- which correspond to minor changes in the page being tested -- won't interfere because one or more of eValid's protections will keep your script running.

eValid Support
eValid

Return to AJAX Applications & DOM Processing

Design Downloaded from free phpBB templates | free website templates | Free Web Buttons