Getting an" Unable to record" error. Please advise!

General discussion about eValid, its characteristis and applications.

Getting an" Unable to record" error. Please advise!

Postby Marigold » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:51 am

Morning.

When I try desktop recording from an RDC hookup I get asked for a window, and I declare a window (a notepad window) and then I get this message "Unable to record... in specified desktop window."

What gives?

Please give me some insight!

Thanks
Marigold

Re: Getting an" Unable to record" error. Please advise!

Postby eValid » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:55 pm

Marigold wrote:Morning.

When I try desktop recording from an RDC hookup I get asked for a window, and I declare a window (a notepad window) and then I get this message "Unable to record... in specified desktop window."

What gives?

Please give me some insight!

Thanks

Afternoon Marigold.

Thanks for asking. Good question.

Just to be clear about the setup: you are running eValid on a local machine, call it machine A. You've RDC'd over to another machine, call it machine B. You're trying to test from B, with eValid that is on A.

The key to understanding this is to note that if you are in an RDC window on A into B you are really running on a current screen that is a copy of a remote screen, B's scrren. Yes, the copy is updated quickly but it remains a copy of the actual screen.

The issue is that actions on what you seen on your current screen on A are sent to/from the remote machine -- the B machine. But A is the machine that has the eValid instance running on it.

But the problem is, eValid doesn't know it is looking at a remote screen, so when it comes time to figure out the window handle for the remote window it can't find it. Because it is not a window on the current machin.

eValid knows what's local and that window you brought up on the remote machine B is not actually a window on the machine where eValid is running.

Yeah, we know this could be confusing because you might think that it would work, but in fact each machine's resources are quite private to it and the keyboard/mouse/window sharing that goes on with a RDC hookup don't translate over.

If you try this when you are testing an application with eValid running on the machine YOU are running on, we'll bet it works OK!

Give it a try 100% local.

--eValid Support
eValid

Return to General Solution Topics

Design Downloaded from free phpBB templates | free website templates | Free Web Buttons