Testing Smartphone Applications

General discussion about eValid, its characteristis and applications.

Testing Smartphone Applications

Postby 2kevin » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:53 pm

Why do you think testing smartphone applications from you browser engine is the same as testing them from a smartphone?
2kevin

Re: Testing Smartphone Applications

Postby eValid » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:29 pm

2kevin wrote:Why do you think testing smartphone applications from you browser engine is the same as testing them from a smartphone?
A fair question but please, let's distinguish what "testing" means in this case.

If I have a smart phone (or any mobile device) in my hand and I do something with it, e.g. look up a web site or make a query on a search engine, am I testing the smart phone or am I testing the application.

If you want to test the smart phone, you need to investigate all of its features and capabilities, and work out tests of that device that are specific to it.

If, instead, you want to test whether the smart phone works then you make a phone call with it. If you are interacting on the web with your smart phone then you actually are interrogating a web application of some kind.

So there are many kinds of testing: device testing, telecommunications testing (making phone calls), and testing web applications (from a smart phone).

The first two are outside what eValid can do, and are not really related to what eValid is intended to do, which is test a web application.

It boils down to a question of what you want to test -- and what kinds of errors you want to detect -- that determines what kind of test engine you need.

In eValid's case, using the SetUserAgent command, you tell the server to respond as if to a smart phone, and look at the responses. That is testing the application, not testing the device nor testing the telecommunications capability. eValid is a web application test engine, and it can do that work pretty much from any type of device -- including smartphones!

eValid Support
eValid

Return to General Solution Topics

Design Downloaded from free phpBB templates | free website templates | Free Web Buttons