Comparing the content viewed from PageMap and View Source

Discussion of the technology underlying the eValid solution.

Comparing the content viewed from PageMap and View Source

Postby GoldieB » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:04 am

Greetings.

Why does you PageMap show so little information compared with what I can see when I "view source" on my Google browser?

Thanks
GoldieB

Re: Comparing the content viewed from PageMap and View Sourc

Postby eValid » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:42 am

GoldieB wrote:Greetings.

Why does you PageMap show so little information compared with what I can see when I "view source" on my Google browser?

Thanks

Thanks for posting your question, GoldieB.

For everyone, you can see the contents of the DOM for a page, when using the Chrome Browser, with the command CTRL-SHFT-J.

This gets you a page on the right-hand side that includes, among other things, a button at the top called "Elements".

(There are probably other sequences that will bring up this display if you dig around in whichever version of whichever browser, you're using.)

Do this for some page and take a look at what you get.

It is a very, very, very busy display but it 100% complete.

There is a LOT of information there, all of it pertaining to the specific page you're looking at.

By comparison, eValid's PageMap utility is an effective simplification of this mass of data to just those facts -- and only those facts -- that the web application tester needs to worry about.

Here is the basic PageMap guide: http://www.e-valid.com/Products/Documen ... p.gui.html

For any element you choose you can get the [current] DOM index, called the "Source Index" on the display, and the window ID, which is simply the number of sub-windows down from the starting window you are clicking in.

The starting screen is always "wid 0".

For eValid's purposes this is pretty much all the information you need when you are creating or editing eValid commands that deal with the DOM.

-- eValid Support
eValid

Return to Technology

Design Downloaded from free phpBB templates | free website templates | Free Web Buttons